In this course you’ll learn the pros and cons of using hints, trace flags, and scoped database configuration to tune your queries in SQL Server.
Demos are run against SQL Server 2016, but most of the hints and settings shown can be used against lower or higher versions of SQL Server, too!
Each video has closed captions in English. A written transcript is included with each lesson.
- Why hints aren’t “suggestions”, and a tour of our slow query (12 minutes) Preview
- Hinting cardinality estimation level and setting row goals (15 minutes)
- Join hints, temp tables, and table variables (13 minutes)
- Hints lead to a query rewrite, and hinting away a nonclustered columnstore index (8 minutes)
- Getting creative with TSQL rewrites (15 minutes)
- Frequently used hints (10 minutes)
- Quiz: hints!